ENGAGEMENT 2.0: Building a Sense of Initiative and Intervention
- Community Transformation and Social Peacebuilding -
IMPRESSIONS FROM THIS TRAINING
Youth are the cornerstone of the presence and the future. Their social participation must be enhanced and their vital social role should be strengthened. Hence, our training "Social Grassroots Conflict Transformation" for 20 local participants from Vienna will train them on how to analyse community issues and design and implement initiatives to tackle a grassroots problem to achieve a positive change. Issues can be environmental, social, civic, political or any other conflictual area that affects the society. As a participant, they will choose a specific issue to focus on and tackle during this training. The range of possible issues to tackle varies from environment, inclusion, diversity, education, digitalisation, human rights, gender, integration, equality, solidarity, discrimination, justice, culture, and youth empowerment, to topics such as poverty, employment, social public services, sustainability, politics, and climate change. All these diverse topics can be understood, in the framework of visible and invisible violence. Therefore we choose this framework as a method of finding solutions and developing transformation skills and tools to address these topics in a constructive way to achieve a positive change in the community.
During this local training, 20 participants will first learn about the framework of visible and invisible violence, including major concepts such as "violence", "conflict", "peace", "and "transformation" to build a common understanding amongst all. Further, the participants will get introduced to tools to analyse an existing conflict and think about possible solutions. As a next step, participants will work in small groups of 5 persons each to design their own initiatives that address any topic that they wish to influence. Participants will be supported during the training to design a comprehensive local initiative with an execution plan. All groups will present their initiatives (problem, solution and intervention strategy) and get feedback. After the training, all groups will be further supported by the organising team to implement these newly designed initiatives as a follow-up to this training on the local level. Each initiative will receive the needed programmatic and financial support to enable its implementation. Examples of initiatives can be awareness campaigns, workshops, petitions, fundraising, .. etc.
Who can participate?
- you live in Austria (citizens, non-citizens, and residents),
- you are between 18 and 30 years old,
- you can commit to participating in at least 80% of the six-day training program,
- you can communicate in English (B1+ level is enough),
- you wish to learn new skills, methods, and tools,
- you wish to improve your conflict transformation capacities,
- you can cooperate and work with others in a team,
- you are ready to work in a team to design and implement an initiative,
- you are curious to learn and you appreciate diversity in every sense,
- you would like to build new friendships.
How much does it cost?
- The whole Programme is for free.
- Here you can download the agenda as PDF.
- The training, materials, meals, coffee and refreshing breaks are covered.
- It is financed by the European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe.
- You should attend at least 85% of the Programme.
- So, you can miss a maximum of 1 day of the 6 days.
- You should fill in this application form before Thursday 31.March.2022, 23:00h.
- You should sign the participation agreement within three days, once selected.
- Applications will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis!
- We apply the "first come, first serve" concept.
When, Where, What?
- For 6 days from 9 to 14 April (Easter holiday).
- The training venue is the International Institute for Peace.
- The exact location will be communicated per email when selected.
- An info package including all necessary details about the location, agenda etc. will be emailed to you once accepted as a participant.
All participants will receive a certificate of participation upon the successful completion of the Programme.
Still want to learn more?
- This is the second edition of this training and here you can see how the first edition was.