ENGAGEMENT 1.0: Building a Sense of Initiative and Intervention
- Social Grassroots Conflict Transformation -
Youth are the cornerstone of the presence and the future. Their social participation must be enhanced and their vital social role should be strengthened. Hence, our training "Social Grassroots Conflict Transformation" over 7-days for 20 participants will train you on how to analyse community issues and design and implement initiatives to tackle a problem to achieve a positive change. Issues can be social, civic, political or any other conflictual area that affects the society. As a participant, you will choose a specific issue to focus on and tackle during this training. The range of possible issues to tackle varies from inclusion, diversity, education, integration, migration, equality, solidarity, racism, discrimination, justice, culture, human rights, and youth empowerment, to topics such as employment, poverty, social public services, sustainability, politics, environment and climate change. All these diverse topics can be understood, in the framework of visible and invisible violence. Therefore we choose this framework as a method of finding solutions and developing transformation skills and tools to address these topics in a constructive way to achieve a positive change in the community.
Learning experience: During this training, 20 participants will first learn about the framework of visible and invisible violence, including major concepts such as "violence", "conflict", "peace" and "transformation" to build a common understanding amongst all. Further, the participants will get introduced to tools to analyse an existing conflict and think about possible solutions. As a next step, participants will work in small groups to design their own initiatives that address any topic that they wish to influence. Participants will be supported during the training to design a comprehensive initiative with an execution plan. All groups will present their initiatives (problem, solution and intervention) and get feedback. After the training, all groups will be further supported by the organising team to implement these newly designed initiatives as a follow-up to this training. Examples of initiatives can be a flashmob,an awareness campaign, a workshop, a petition, Fundraising, bees house building, clean-ups, .. etc.
Who can participate?
- you live in Austria (citizens, non-citizens, and residents),
- you are between 18 and 35 years old,
- you can commit to participating in at least 80% of the training program,
- you can communicate in English (B1+ level is enough),
- you wish to learn new skills, methods, and tools,
- you wish to improve your conflict transformation capacities,
- you can cooperate and work with others in a team, - you are ready to work in a team to design and implement an initiative,
- you are curious to learn and you appreciate diversity in every sense,
- you would like to build new friendships.
How much does it cost?
- The training is for free.
- The training, materials, meals, coffee and refreshing breaks are covered.
- It is financed by the European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe.
- You can attend at least 80% of the training program.
- You should fill in this application form before Sunday 8.August.2021, 23:00h. - You should sign an agreement including all rules and obligations, if selected.
Note: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis!
When, Where, What?
- From 19 to 25 August 2021, in Vienna, Austria.
- The exact location will be communicated per email when selected.
- An info package including all necessary details about the location, agenda etc. will be emailed to you once accepted as a participant.
Further benefits? - Selected participants in this training will have the priority to participate in our future international trainings. The first upcoming international training will be in Georgia in February 2022.